NIGERIAN NEWSPAPERS: 📰
- Thieves, for the second time this year, allegedly broke into the Katsina State government house and stole N31 million. The robbery incident according to a credible source occured on Sunday, 31 July, 2022, when unknown persons broke into the office of the Financial Controller of the Government House and took the money contained in a sack.
- President Muhammadu Buhari, on Thursday, received the new President of the ECOWAS Commission and his Management Team, telling them the kind of sub-regional body West African leaders desire and must have. The President told Dr Omar Alieu Touray, the new President and the delegation at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, not to disappoint African leaders.
- The Lagos State Government, yesterday, banned the operations of its enforcement team tagged, Ministry of Transportation, M.O.T Taskforce. The newly appointed Special Adviser to the Governor Bababjide Sanwo-Olu on Transportation, Sola Giwa, announced this yesterday.
- President Muhammadu Buhari has said about 31 victims abducted from a Kaduna-bound train in March are still in captivity. The President said this when he met with representatives of the victims at the presidential villa in Abuja, on Thursday.
- President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, Professor Victor Osodeke, yesterday, disclosed that many lecturers in Nigerian Universities have left the country to pursue their careers abroad as the Federal Government failed to resolve the lingering crisis in the education sector.
- The Federal Government has commenced discussions with the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors, NARD, over the demands of the doctors. The Publicity Secretary of NARD, Dr. Yusuf Alfa, disclosed this in an interview, yesterday.
- Terrorists are consolidating their grip on communities in Kaduna with a parallel government and permanent operational base, according to Governor Nasir El-Rufai in a memo to President Muhammadu Buhari. El-Rufai in the memo, warned the President of the terrorists’ consolidation in a late July memo, according to an online platform.
- Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, yesterday, insisted that for peace to reign, the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Senator Iyorchia Ayu must resign from office. This was Wike’s condition for peace when Adamawa State governor, Umaru Fintiri, visited him in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, yesterday.
- The Presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, Mr. Peter Obi has reiterated his commitment to building a productive nation anchored on youths’ development, saying that their youthful energy, skills and potentials were critical ingredients needed to move the nation from consumption to production.
- Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has sued the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar; the Sokoto State Governor, Aminu Tambuwal; and the PDP over the conduct of the presidential primary of the party that was held in Abuja on May 28 and May 29, 2022.
- We’ve Recovered N3.2bn Loot Within A Year – FG
The Muhammadu Buhari-led Government says it has recovered over N3.2bn (£6,324,627.66) of looted funds from various countries within a year.
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, made this known on Thursday during the monthly Ministerial Briefing at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Malami stated that the stolen monies were recovered from March 2021 to May 2022 and have been disbursed into key infrastructure projects nationwide.
The minister stated that the recovered loot included the Second Niger Bridge, Abuja-Kano Road and the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
The minister also said the federal government raised N1.82bn from the sale of bid forms and the actual sale of forfeited properties in the first 18 months of the Muhammadu Buhari administration.
- Buhari Meets Families Of Abuja-Kaduna Train Attack Victims
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday met with the families of the victims of the March 28 Abuja-Kaduna train attack.
The meeting is took place in the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The Presidency made this known in a tweet via its verified Twitter handle on Thursday evening.
The tweet wrote, “President #MBuhari is meeting with representatives of victims of the Abuja-Kaduna Train abduction.”
- Presidential Guards Killed By Terrorists In Abuja Buried
The troops of the Guards Brigade responsible for the protection of President Muhammadu Buhari, who were killed by terrorists in the Bwari area of Abuja, have been buried.
Recalls that terrorists attacked the soldiers of the 7 Guards Battalion while on routine patrol along Kubwa–Bwari road on the 25th of July, 2022.
The terrorists were said to be headed to the Nigerian Law School in Bwari when they ran into the troops.
The incident led to the exchange of gunfire which led to the death of Captain Attah Samuel and four other soldiers.
Captain Samuel and the other soldiers were on Thursday buried at the Guards Brigade Cemetery, Maitama, Abuja.
- Over 1,000 Boko Haram Suspects Convicted In 18 Months – Malami
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, has disclosed that over 1,000 Boko Haram suspects have been convicted for terrorism-related court cases in the last 18 months.
Malami made the revelation on Thursday during the monthly Ministerial Briefing organised by the Presidential Communications Team at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The minister disclosed that 312 convictions were secured in various other criminal cases within the last 18 months and 45 conviction were also secured by the Complex Casework Group, Maritime unit.
He noted that his ministry, through the CCG unit, is coordinating the next phase of terrorism-related trials in collaboration with the federal high court, the Legal Aid Council, and the Defense Headquarters.
Malami also explained that his ministry has successfully filed an extradition proceeding against suspended DCP Abba Kyari in line with a Mutual Legal Assistance request from the United States of America.
- CAN Denies Endorsing Lalong As Tinubu’s Campaign DG
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) Plateau State Chapter has warned politicians against using Christianity and the platform to promote their political interests.
In an interview with the Nigerian Tribune, the CAN chairman in the state, Reverend Father Polycarp Lubo said that they never endorsed the appointment of Governor Simon Lalong as the Director General of Tinubu/Shettima Campaign Organisation.
Lubo also stated that the CAN was not part of those that received Lalong at the Yakubu Gowon Airport on arrival to the state after his appointment as the Director General of the campaign organisation.
- Wike Carries Weight In Nigeria, Atiku Should Beg Him — Onwordi
The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar has been charged to plead with the Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, over the crisis in the party.
A chieftain of the party in Delta State, James Onwordi Endurance made this call in a statement released on Thursday.
He noted that despite the vice presidential candidate, Ifeanyi Okowa emerging from his state, the party still needs Governor Wike to win in the 2023 elections.
According to Onwordi, the main opposition party is divided because Wike is not ready to declare support for Atiku.
He further stated that the former Vice President should have met Wike to resolve the issues in the party, he, however, said it’s not too late.
- Military Reveals Identity Of Two More Owo Worshippers Killers
Two more members of the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) have been arrested by the Military High Command over the killing of over 40 worshippers at St Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State.
The development was disclosed in a statement released through the Director of Defence Information, Major General Jimmy Akpor, on Thursday.
Akpor in the statement identified the suspects as Al-Qasim Idris and Abdulhaleem Idris.
According to Akpor, the suspects were arrested at Omialafara (Omulafa), Ose Local Government Area, Ondo State on Tuesday, 9 August 2022.
He further stated that the arrest was made possible through the joint efforts of the military and DSS.
- Buhari Reverses Approval Of Seplat Energy, ExxonMobil Deal
President Muhammadu Buhari has reversed the approval of the acquisition of the ExxonMobil Corporation assets by Seplat Energy Plc.
Presidential Spokesman, Garba Shehu, made this known in an interview with Premium Times on Wednesday.
Shehu said the president has decided to reverse the acquisition in line with the position of the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) in the deal.
The presidential spokesman said earlier confusion was because various agencies involved in the decision had not coordinated well among themselves.
- I Did Not Insult The Pope – Lalong Speaks
The Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong has explained his reference to the Pope while defending his position as the Director General of the Tinubu/Shettima campaign organisation.
Earlier reported that the governor, while replying to a group calling for his resignation as the DG, had said that even the Pope was not against his appointment.
However, his statement was followed by a lot of backlash from Nigerians who claimed that it was disrespectful to the Pope and Christians.
Reacting to the backlash via a statement issued in Jos on Thursday by his Director of Press and Public Affairs, Makut Macham, the governor insisted that his reference to the Lope is a mark of reverence, not ridicule as perceived by some Nigerians.
- Ex-Convict Joshua Dariye Set To Join Peter Obi’s Labour Party, Run For Senate
All is now set for the recently released former Plateau State Governor, Senator Joshua Dariye to declare interest to contest the Plateau Central senatorial seat on the platform of the Labour Party (LP).
Dariye and former Taraba governor, Jolly Nyame were, on Monday released from prison three months after their pardon by the President Muhammadu Buhari-led Council of State.
Dariye spent about four years in prison out of his 10 years’ sentence for N1.126 billion fraud.
According to Daily Trust, the Plateau State chapter of LP has concluded arrangements to welcome Dariye from Abuja to pick the party’s senatorial form.
According to the party official, the former Plateau State Governor has the capacity to spring surprises at next year’s election because of the love many have for him in the North-Central State.
He stated Dariye has also given a boost to the party’s governorship candidate, Patrick Dakum, who defected to the LP, after failing to secure the ticket of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
- Peter Obi meets ex-gov Mimiko as 2023 contenders rally Nigerians ahead of election
The Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, on Thursday held a closed-door meeting with the former Ondo State governor, Olusegun Mimiko, in Akure.
- Middle Belt group tells Shettima to resign as APC 2023 VP candidate
A coalition of groups in the Middle Belt known as the Middle Belt Congress, (MBC), has called on former Borno State Governor, Senator Kashim Shettima, to resign as the vice presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), in the 2023 elections “to save the party from perceived impending electoral misfortune.”
- Rationally, PDP Nat’l Chairman should come from South-West —Bode George
The discourse over whether the current National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Iyorchia Ayu, should resign continues to divide its stakeholders with Bode George wading into the situation.
- Governors’ complaint over Paris Club deductions unjustified – Malami
The Federal Government declared on Thursday the 36 state governors have no whatsoever to complain about $418 million Paris Club refund deductions paid to consultants.
- Reps deputy speaker, Wase confirms loss of relations to bandits, demands military reinforcement in Plateau
The Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Idris Wase, on Thursday confirmed the loss of blood relations to bandits in Plateau State.
- NGX: Market cap slumps to N26.9tr amid losses in Caverton, Stanbic IBTC
Investors in the Nigerian capital market lost N32.83 billion following the crash in equity capitalization by -0.12 percent on Thursday.
- Nigeria recovered €6.3m stolen funds in 14 months – Malami
The Federal Government has recovered €6,324,627 stashed abroad by treasury looters in the last 14 months.
- Gunmen kill motorcyclist in Ekiti
Gunmen on Thursday shot dead a commercial motorcyclist, Abejide Ojo, along Ilemeso-Isan- Ekiti road in Ekiti State.
- Troops arrest 10 pipeline vandals, 2 sea pirates in Niger Delta
Troops of Operation Delta Safe have arrested 10 suspected pipeline vandals and two high-profile sea pirates in the Niger Delta in the last two weeks.
- Real Madrid beat Frankfurt to win UEFA Super Cup for fifth time
Karim Benzema was in superb form on Wednesday night as he helped Real Madrid beat Eintracht Frankfurt to win the UEFA Supr up.